Saturday, April 2, 2011

A day in the outdoors!


Well I've been working during my stay here in California, and today Don and Karen took me out for a great day in the outdoors.
First stop was CalEarth homes, where people learn to make homes out of bags of dirt! Literally the walls are made out of bags of dirt (looks like 5 - 10 kg bags) which are stack on top of each other, with strands of barbed wire between to help hold them together. These are then rendered over to provide a relatively smooth finish. Construction looks very simple, and provides a far quicker and cheaper method of building than methods like mud brick.





After that we took a quick trip into the mountains where Don showed he used to teaching skiing many moons ago. I must say it was lovely to see the snow!!

I did make a snowball, but Don didn't want to play!!! I'll have to wait for Janine and Jordan to come and play in the snow..





No comments:

Post a Comment